Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Windows; ripped, remixed, burned

Although I'm a Mac user, I spend some of my day in front of an XP screen. It has its benefits - I don't have to buy any music thanks to Napster, and Google's applications (Google Earth and the new beta Desktop Search) are awesome, but PC-only. But there are plenty of things I find pretty frustrating too.

Which is why its great to hear that some versions of Windows on P2P services haven't just been copied - they've been remixed. There's a great piece over at Wired about pirate Windows disk images available on BitTorrent that include a host of complimentary software or strip away the bloatware to produce Windows Lite.

Not that I'd condone pirating software from a company that makes nearly $500 every second. Not an operating system that, on its own, contributed a $2.18bn profit to Microsoft... just in the second quarter of this year. No no, pirating - and improving - that software would be stealing.

No comments: